Kirchplatz 2, 56341 Kamp-Bornhofen; Fon: (067 73) 959 780; Fax: (067 73) 959 7820 E-Mail: franziskaner@wallfahrtskloster-bornhofen.de
Kirchplatz 2, 56341 Kamp-Bornhofen;      Fon: (067 73) 959 780; Fax: (067 73) 959 7820     E-Mail: franziskaner@wallfahrtskloster-bornhofen.de

History of the place Bornhofen

Historical names:

 

Burginhoven (1110) - Burnhoven (1140) - Burnehoven (1213) - Burenhoven (1295) - Burnhovin (1370) - Burnhobin (1393) - Bornhoffen (1410) - Bornhoiffen (1438) - Bornhoffen (1753)

 

Historical background:


 The first documentary mention of the village Bornhofen was on June 12th in 1100. At that time probst Richwin of the St. Martinsstift of Worms handed over a tax to the Kanonikers of the St. Martinsstift. That happened in agreement with the King of Germany Heinrich V and the Archbishop Bruno of Trier. The tax consisted of the places Brato (Prath), Dahlheim, Spaldo (Spay), Burginhovin (Bornhofen), Campa (Kamp), Luggershausen (Lykershausen), etc.


The name „Burginhoven“ is the result of the historical fact that this place was a Franconian country seat at the foot of the castle Sterrenberg in the 12th century. During the time from 1140 to 1250 a knightly order of Bornhofen is documentary mentioned which used the name “Sterrenberg” synonymous at the beginning of the 13th century and then they finally kept this name. Of that knightly order whose heraldic figure is a black eight-shining star on golden ground, we know some representatives: Embrico von Burnehoven and his wife Engeltrudis (1140); Godefrid von Burnehoven (1213); Reinbold (Remboldus) von Burnhoven and his wife  Sophya (1250). Remboldus, the priest of Bornhofen, documentary mentioned from 1224 to 1237, lived in Boppard where he owned a house. His function as priest in Bornhofen made it a condition that a chapel or a church was needed there. This church was actually mentioned on January 12th in 1925 (it was called ecclesia in Burenhoven), the former building of the today known  church of pilgrimage was called “chapel” in 1311. On the occasion of the hundredth anniversary of the placement of the first miraculous image, on November 13th in 1389, Pope Bonifacius IX. allowed an indulgence to the Marienkapelle in Bornhofen: „Bonifacius IX. capelle B. Marie in Bornhoven, Trever. dioc. concedit indulgentias non plenarias" (Vatikanische Regesten). The contract of lease in 1393 attests that the church was sanctified to “our beloved women” (Unser Lyebin frauwen zu Burnhobin). The curator of this area, Prof. Dr. Wichert, mined the church to study the old fundaments. He arrived at the conclusion that in place of the church a basilica with a flat roof was situated in former times. He also discovered some fundaments of a cloister which was situated next to the church. In 1963 the wood panelling of the high altar was taken off to install a marmoreal altar. In the process the gothic “Stipes” (huge picket, foundation of the altar) was discovered. On both sides of the Stipes about 15 up to 20 cenimetres were taken away because of the wood panelling.

Start: 19.12.2015